Saturday, January 3, 2015

Eating Clean: Cauliflower Crust Pizza & Clean Sauce from Scratch

21 Day fix dinner, budget friendly food, clean eating, clean menu, cooking, diet, dinner, eat clean, get skinny, healthy, healthy food, lose baby weight, lose weight, new years resolutions, portion control
Healthy Pizza, can it be!?

So I love trying out new healthy recipes I actually rarely repeat them because I like experimenting with new ideas and trying to teach myself to cook in the process!! So last night I tackled a big task. I not only made Cauliflower Crust Pizza but I also made the sauce from scratch AND I made Quinoa Cheese Bread (which will be another post here shortly). Will I say this is my favorite? Not exactly, but it wasn't bad either. I just prefer my real pizza because I'm a fat kid at heart :) And of course its all 21 Day Fix approved!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Ingredients:
*Head of cauliflower
*3 egg whites
*3 TBSP of whole wheat flour (the recipe I used actually called for oat flower but I made due with what I already had in the cabinet)
*1/2 tsp of garlic powder
*Salt and Pepper
*Few dashes of oregano

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Break up the cauliflower into chunks and put them in the food processor (I used my NEW ninja) and blend until its a grainy consistency. This might take a few steps depending on how big your food processor or ninja is.
3. Place the cauliflower in the microwave for about 8 minutes to make it soft. Remove and let it cool completely (I stuck mine in the freezer for a few minutes)
4. After its cooled, take a handful at a time in a paper towel and SQUEEZE!!! Make sure you get AS MUCH water out as you can so that it will hold together better in the oven.
5. After its all squeezed add your egg whites, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and oregano and mix it all really good!
6. Roll mixture into balls and flatten out on the cookie sheet I made personal pizzas for everyone. (even a baby one for Ryken!)
7. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Then remove and carefully use a spatula to flip the crusts over and place back in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
8. Take back out and add your sauce and whatever toppings you'd like (I cooked up some turkey bacon and crumbled it on top with pieces of basil). Place back into the oven for 5-10 minutes.
9. Let cool and enjoy!


Clean Sauce from Scratch

Ingredients:
*1 small onion cut into cubes
*3-4 garlic cloves, minced
*1 tsp olive oil
*1/2 c of roasted red peppers (I found the jarred ones and used those)
*4 tomatoes, cubed
*3 TBSP of red wine vinegar
*1 tsp of red pepper flakes
*1 tsp of honey
*A bit of hot sauce
*Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan on medium heat add in your onions, garlic and tsp of olive oil; cook until onions are tender.
2. Add the tomatoes and red pepper and simmer until all the juices are released.
3. Add the red wine vinegar and pepper flakes and cook for 3-4 minutes
4. Transfer it all into a food processor (again I used my ninja) and blend until its all a liquid consistency.
5. Add in the honey, hot sauce, and salt and pepper and blend again until its all mixed in.
6. Enjoy

This sauce recipe made a TON so I'm storing it to make some spaghetti out of it later on this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment