Thursday, November 6, 2014

Eating Clean: Tex Mex Sweet Potato Skillet

Okay so I've been slacking on my blogging game! No worries though, I have a few ideas up my sleeve to hammer out some posts over the next few days or so! In the meantime I wanted to share this new recipe with you! I love trying out new recipes, its actually rare that I'll cook the same thing twice because I just like experimenting. This stuff though, I will be making it again, and again, and probably again. Introducing: 

Tex Mex Sweet Potato Skillet

21 day fix approved, budget friendly food, clean eating, clean menu, cooking, diet, dinner, eat clean, good eats, healthy, healthy food, healthy life, lose weight, meal prepping, portion control
Sweet Potatoes for Mexican Food?! Oh yeah! 

Ingredients:
1 lb sweet potatoes, cubed. I used 1 and 1/2 medium sized and it was plenty!
1 small onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 large red bell peppers, diced
14 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed (I don't like beans so I skipped this)
1 cup corn (frozen or canned is OK)
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp cumin, divided
1/2 tbsp all-natural taco seasoning, divided
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 lime, juice of
1 cup (4 oz) Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 medium avocados, diced
Non-fat Greek yogurt & salsa, for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and add coconut oil, spreading with spatula. Add sweet potatoes, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and corn, cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Add diced tomatoes, remaining cumin and salt, black pepper, taco seasoning and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Squeeze lime juice on top, sprinkle with cheese and broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese turns golden. 

I added chopped up some avocado and threw that into it and put some dabs of Greek yogurt on top!

This makes a ton of food that will easily feed the whole family! I actually made it Sunday night and threw it in a tuberware in the fridge and ate it for dinner all this week! Adam even had some of it as well and it lasted me 4 days! As you noticed there is no meat in it so of course there's always the option of cooking up some chicken in the oven and chopping it up and throw it in after its cooked! I loved that it was a quick meal I made after I put Ryken down for the night and it saved me time throughout the week for dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment